[Gllug] Re: [OxLUG] Authnetication funny

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Apr 4 15:54:32 UTC 2002

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Alain Williams wrote:

> Can someone please give me some clues as to what I have screwed up.

Heh, I'm still partly delusional from last night and need fluids I
suppose, but my first thought was source routing. I bet the boxen behind
the firewall box are getting NAPTed to come from very high source ports,
when you're logged in locally on said machine either as root (let's hope
not) or as whatever then you're unlikely to be using such high addresses.

It would be very strange for them to have configured things in this manner
but possible, particularly if they expect most people to use web caches.
This doesn't really help to explain the mail thing, perhaps they don't
allow incomming mail traffic from most hosts .

Nah, the above is probably complete b*ll*cks. I doubt they do any of that.

Jon.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk