[Gllug] Building a system from scratch

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Apr 18 14:29:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 16:13, Dylan Brewis wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I *upgraded* to Linux about a year ago, and the learning curve seems to have
> levelled out at last. I'm not at a point where I want to go from using a
> distro (SuSE7.3 at present) to building a system from the ground up. I figure
> the only way to get a feel and understanding of how the system really works
> is to do that.
>
> I've checked out LinuxFromScratch, but to be honest that's no more
> informative than footling around in the man pages: it says 'install these
> packages in this order and with these options' which is just about a manual
> installation so far as I can see.

Me! Me! Me!

You should go to Rock Linux. Do not stop at go.

We had a great talk on Rock at GLLUG a while back,
and I also had a good chinwag with one of the developers at FOSDEM.

http://www.rocklinux.org

<evil scientist>
Now if I could only sneak in with a CD and get it installed
on 1000 systems during the night. Mmmwwwhhaaaa....
</evil scientist>

Let us know how you get on.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk