[Gllug] RE: [Glut] Official country code for Britain = GB or UK?

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 14 22:21:00 UTC 2002

On Sunday 14 Apr 2002 10:02 pm, Ian Northeast wrote:
> Liam Delahunty wrote:
> > E. R. Vaughan wrote:
> > FWIW I think "Great Britain" is archaic...
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Great Britain means England, Scotland and Wales.
> > UK means, the above + Northern Ireland.
> > British Isles means GB +  Ireland. (and maybe the other little bits like
> > jersey)
> This is exactly correct IMHO. Otherwise the country would not be called
> "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", despite the
> monarch's having been a Queen for the most part of the last 2 centuries.
> Which means the UN is wrong to call this country GB; however, they do
> and it is therefore generally the correct designation.
> Ah well, the inhabitants of St. Petersburg have to put up with "RU LEN"
> (Leningrad).
> Regards, Ian

Reminds me of that *old* joke:

First Commissar: Comrade, what will Leningrad be called in 50 years time?

Second Commissar: I don't know.

First Commissar: You're under arrest.

Rings a bit hollow now, but it was funny back then.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

More information about the GLLUG mailing list