[Gllug] Official country code for Britain = GB or UK?

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 14 23:41:33 UTC 2002

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Alain Williams muttered drunkenly:
> Officially all DNS domain names for a country should end in the ISO code.
> The only exception is that 'uk' is used instead of 'gb' - basically 'cos
> were were using domain based names long before anybody else thought of
> it and what we used was 'uk'.

But until DERA went semicommercial and changed their name to something
stupid, they had a .gb domain.

Only people I've ever heard of that did.

I wish Australia had managed to get .oz...

--
`Unless they've moved it since I last checked, travelling between
 England and America does not involve crossing the equator.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk