[Gllug] Secure Internet Access Linux Box

Derek Bush Derek.Bush at racc.ac.uk
Sat Apr 6 15:26:06 UTC 2002

Look in the GDM configuration. There's now an "autologon" option.
I wondered what it was for ;-)

--
Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project Schedules:
        The first ninety percent of the task takes ninety percent of

The brief is to install Linux, boot into a graphical environment with a
browser and not let the anonymous user do anything except surf the
internet (and to tidy up all traces of their activity from the local
machine on a regular basis).

I imagine that I can accomplish most of this by setting up a guest user
and giving them no access (certainly no read access) to pretty much
anything except their home directory (for browser cookies, etc)... and
then using a cron job to refresh even that every few hours. I'm not sure
about how to boot automatically into the graphical environment - how
about an account with no password?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk