[Gllug] (OT) End of copying CD's?

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Apr 10 12:56:23 UTC 2002

FWIW radio stations often get plain-wrap CDs (as well as copious normal
ones) from the distribution companies. More or less analogous to the MSDN
distributions of M$ bits and pieces.

Distribution companies know which side their bread is buttered on. They'll
do anything to ensure that radio stations have plenty of music in whatever
format they want. They could of course use something like steganography(?)
to tag the music so they can find the source of the leaks after the fact.

I have no faith the ability of this sort of copy protection to work
indefinitely. People will just make programs to play the CD and encode the
audio stream. Quality will suffer a bit and ripping will take longer, but it
wont stop by any measure.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk