[Gllug] RE: [Glut] Official country code for Britain = GB or UK?

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Wed Apr 17 13:38:27 UTC 2002

> > > I am aware of this.  but I think we could lose the "Great" :)
> > > Thanks to Bruce for clearing up where that came from though!
> > > What I meant was that everyone just says "UK" now, when asked
> > > where they live on IRC etc...
> >
> > No, I say London.  Anyone who doesn't know where that is, or
> > thinks I mean some irrelevant little village in the colonies
> > which copied the name is not worth talking to.

there are about a dozen "london"s in america alone, mostly named out
of the respect for the old london, but with a new and great future in mind.

> WHAT! I hope you are taking the P and are just pretending to be
> some ignorant, arrogant Englishman who hasn't even seen his own
> country properly, let alone some "irrelevant" colony. Always makes
> me laugh.

england, britain, the uk made itself what it is by asset striping
those poor irrelevant colonies ... and at the time, was well proud
of itself doing it. now, it publically tries not to "interfer" in the
runnings of other countries.

> "Oh yes. Australia, Isn't that where we sent all the convicts?"

one of the many places... mostly religous and racial outcasts...

> Well the crooks had the last laugh didn't they.

=)

> Where would you rather be.

somewhere sunny, near a beach, without bloated tourists bouncing up
and down ...

> Skegness or Bondi Beach? :-)

skegness is a bit harsh, isn't it? after all you do get *some* sun
in London, and on both of those days a year, it might not even rain.

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     |   .^. Don't fear|

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk