[Gllug] IDE issues

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Apr 15 10:51:22 UTC 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> On 15/04/02, 11:26:30, Kim Hawtin <kim at aldigital.co.uk> wrote regarding Re:
> [Gllug] IDE issues:
>

> > this may sound like a silly question, but have used the new fangled
> > high density cables?
>
> Aye, if you use a standart IDE cable then it falls back to slower UDMA
> settings.  The new cables are distinctive, being round and colour coded
> to show which end goes where.
>
> http://www.cablesnmor.com/images/round-ide-cables.jpg

AIUI - and I certainly could be wrong - there is no need for newer cables to
be rounded, unless you're talking about Serial ATA, which is the *next* big
thing, apparently.  The UDMA100/133 cables do need to be put in the right
way round though and may (anyone?) need you to plug particular plugs into
the master and slave).

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk