[Gllug] named cache

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 10:49:49 UTC 2002

Message from:-
Tim Clarke  (tim at seacon.co.uk)
Seacon Group Ltd / Seacon Terminals Ltd,
Tower Wharf, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 9BD, UK
Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000
      Fax: +44 (0)1474 329946

I can't seem to find a method of forcing my local nameserver to 'lose' its
cache, in order to force it to reload domain names (specifically mx records)
from the authorative nameservers. Any suggestions ?

The problem is that one of our customers MX records has been screwed and our
nameserver has the wrong IP address cached.  It appears to have a ttl of 7 hours
- and I don't want to wait that long for our nameserver to get the 'right'
mx record.   I have fudged the issue temporarily by putting an artificial smtp
route in the qmail config file, but for future ref it would be nice to know
how to get the nameserver cache reloaded correctly

Any assitsance appreciated

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk