[Gllug] I do not like this person /Rants and Raves

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Apr 16 19:31:42 UTC 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:06:54AM +0100, Allen wrote:

> Using an operating system is personal. how may of us have typed ctrl-X
> ctrl-S in notepad expecting it to work?

Some of us have never done it, though we may have typed :wq

> Why can people not accept that for most things its horses for courses and
> BOTH linux and Windows have their faults and thier plus points

Obviously, because Linux is perfect and Windows is the work of the
devil.

More seriously, often it's because they find both the predatory business
products and the overwhelming mediocrity of MS products offensive.
In many cases windows is used for reasons that trace to the MS monopoly
and not at all to the quality or suitability of the software.

It's not six of one and half a dozen of the other.  For various reasons,
including the much higher average technical competence of the user base,
the general resistance to its use by the uninformed and the lack of a
monopoly interest to push it above other competitors, any given Linux
installation is far more likely to be suited to the task and appropriate
to the situation than any given windows installation.

Ferraris have their faults and are not suitable to every occasion.
This doesn't excuse the faults or limitations of a Trabant.

--
Bruce

You can fool some of the people all the time, you can fool all of
the people some of the time but you can never fool your mother.