[Gllug] (OT) End of copying CD's?

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Wed Apr 10 13:24:03 UTC 2002

> (taken from http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1639)

As I understand it from a discussion with someone on the inside (of the
record business not detained at HM pleasure), the major labels are trying to
appear to be more concerned with commercial CD pirating more than individual
users pirating via file-sharing.

What they didn't seem to understand, was that a pirate would very easily
either:
1. output the CD from a normal player to a PC, converting the input to WAV,
the burn the thousands of pirate disks from there.
2. break the system.

Those users who horde and trade lots of (mostly stolen) music would make it
a point of honour to provide the rarer copy protected stuff, and would
simply convert the output to MP3 and share away. Meanwhile, legitimate users
cannot use the CD on their computers and another problem is, as I understand
it, that many high-end CD players have a similar checksum or error handling
routine as CD-ROM players, and may therefore not be able to play these
protected CDs anyway.

I think that Bruce Schneier (original author of password safe, the *nix
version here: http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/) sometime ago had some
interesting things to say about all of this but I'm too lazy to find the
actual bit somewhere here: http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.html ...

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty
Mega Products Limited, 10-11 Moor Street, London W1D 5NF
http://www.britstream.com/ Hosting/ Domain Names From UKP 7.50 p.a.
http://www.corx.co.uk/ :: Tune In :: Drop Down  :: Game On ::

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk