[Gllug] Re: Request from academic researcher

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Tue Apr 2 13:59:02 UTC 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 01:02:09PM +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> On Sunday, 31 Mar 2002, Jim wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 03:48:04PM -0600, Utpal M. Dholakia wrote:
> >>http://www.surveypro.com/cgi-bin/surveypro/run_survey.cgi?id=2444
> >Am I the only person here who finds this survey a bit weird and over
> >personal.  I will not be filling it in but I am wondering if I am being
> >over sensitive.  I confess to an instinctive dislike of the
> >quantification of human existence by sociologists and psychologists.
>
> It does seem that many of the questions would be better suited to a
> group who meet regularly for orgies than a LUG.
>
> That aside, paranoia might note that we answer a lot of questions
> about spending money at the end and supply our email addresses to
> 'SurveyPro', an organisation of unknown provenance - and there is
> nothing to confirm that the real Dr. Dholakia (he _is_ real) is
> actually involved with this.

I'd be far more inclined to be worried about the former rather than
the latter. Perhaps Dr Dholakia could ask the CS department at his uni
to put up a similar page hosted on the uni web servers? That would
allay my more paranoid leanings and shouldn't take a competent body
long to write.

Cheers,

Simon

--
<dhd> even though I know what a 'one time pad' is, it still sounds like
a feminine hygiene product

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk