[Gllug] Squid Messages

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun Apr 21 19:19:01 UTC 2002

On Sunday 21 April 2002 3:18 pm, Formi wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  I have been collecting a few ad sites addesses and banning them with
>  squid, and I find the messages I keep getting in the place of the banned
>  pics a bit annoying.
>
>  I edited the error file of squid and reduced it to the bare minimum, as
>  shown below:
>

>  Access Denied.
>  Generated Sun, 21 Apr 2002 11:25:03 GMT by xxx.homelan.org
> (Squid/2.4.STABLE4)
>

>  Is there any way to stop squid from showing anything?
>  Is there any interactive way of adding addresses to the acl lists?

you can't make it show nothing ...

but you can ,ake it show a custom error message with loads of white space at
the top ...
acl banners dstdomain .adserve.com .adbutler.com .wtlive.com .advertising.com

http_access deny banners

deny_info err_banner banners

cat /usr/lib/squid/errors/English/err_banner
HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY bgcolor="white" color="gray">
| Ad filtered out |<br />
-----------------</p>
<A HREF="%U">%U</A><br>
This looks like a banner ad - so it has not been retrieved
<P>
Access control configuration prevents your request from
being allowed at this time.  Please contact your service provider if
you feel this is incorrect.
</UL>
<P>Your cache administrator is <A HREF="mailto:%w">%w</A>.

this is what I use - you couls make the error messag empty

squid still provides some details - I don't know a way to supress these - but
you can make them appear out of sight

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk