[Gllug] Copy-protected CD's

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Wed Apr 10 10:40:50 UTC 2002

At 13:32 10/04/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Maybe I am thick - but I cannot see how you can stop a CD being played on a
>CD drive, if it will also play on a bog-standard domestic CD player.
>
>Surely whatever magic code is on the CD, and ignored by the domestic CD
>player, can be ignored also by the CD-rom drive ?

I know that one of the methods used is to scramble the checksum information
that is normally used to componsate for scratches.  Apparently, normal CD
players take less notice of this (or something) then CD-ROMs which use it
to 'correct' the legitimate data on the CD therefore they scramble the song
data.  One down side of this scheme is that your CD is less resilient to
scratches.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk