[Gllug] CVS and SSh

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Tue Apr 30 17:16:12 UTC 2002

Had an interesting afternoon getting to grips with CVS (something
that's been on my "must do soon" list for ages) I've set up a CVS
repository on our dev server[1] from source and I can login, checkout
and update files when logged on to that machine. The problems start
when I attempt to use either the pserver or the ext methods to connect
to this self-same server from the comfort of my desktop.

When using pserver, I can "logon" with no problems, but when I do a
checkout, update, or any other operation the client side hangs
beautifully. Doing an strace on the client indicates that the it's
doing a "read" of fd 5 (which is a FIFO: one would assume to the SSH
process) while the server side is doing a read from fd 0 (stdin, isn't
it?) Since both sides are doing a read, nowt's happening. Killing the
SSH process on the client gets things moving again, but it's hardly an
elegant "solution"

Now, I know that this is a known problem from a quick google about the
web, but I was wondering what you lot suggest to get around this. FWIW:

Client: cvs 1.11.1p1 (from Debian package), ssh OpenSSH_3.1p1
Server: cvs 1.11.2 (from source), ssh OpenSSH_3.1p1

I don't want to drop down to SSH 1 for obvious reasons. Advice,
suggestions, RTFMs etc accepted (and often appreciated ;)

Cheers,

Simon

--
"How should I know if it works?  That's what beta testers are for.  I only
coded it."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk