[Gllug] Wireless console server

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Aug 9 10:38:21 UTC 2002

Well, just to scratch an itch I have deployed a wireless roaming
console server!

Our machine room is so big that just beside the door, there is
a PC running a web browser. Type in a hostname and it queries
a database and displays a map highlighting where the host is.
Otherwise you could wander round for ages...

Anyway, I took my iPAQ with a serial cable and installed it
on one host. The iPAQ has a wireless card so I can SSH into it.
I enabled a getty on the serial port in the host - so
now mobile wireless terminal server!

BTW, the Phoenix BIOS on this machine has got some serial console
redirect features. Not sure exactly what the capabilities are.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk