[Gllug] Wireless console server

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Fri Aug 9 12:47:53 UTC 2002

On Friday 09 August 2002 11:38, John Hearns wrote:

> BTW, the Phoenix BIOS on this machine has got some serial console
> redirect features. Not sure exactly what the capabilities are.

If it is like the Phoenix machines we have here it will mirror the BIOS
output to the serial port. You can view this output over minicom/kermit
etc. Allows you to do bios setup over the serial port. Once the BIOS
hands off to the OS it becomes pretty useless. If it was just a
little-bit smarter it would be really usefull. All I'd want is for it
to be able to do a restart of the machine when the OS has barfed.

Our machine-room isn't large enough to need a map but it is still a
PITA to have to get up to reset machines.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk