[Gllug] Evolution won't fetch my mail (Help)

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Mon Aug 5 14:18:31 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 15:57, Ian Baillie wrote:
> I was picking up my mail as usual using Evolution on Suse 8, and it
> keeps coming up with an error message:
>
> "Error while 'Fetching Mail':
> Cannot append message to mbox file
> ://home/myusername/evolution/local/inbox/mbox: Success"

No idea really.
you should try the Ximian knowledgebase
http://support.ximian.com/cgi-bin/ximian.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

But Evolution threw a wobbly on me this morning,
and would not retrieve all my email. It stopped with some messages back
in June.
Much though I like Evo, it does have the habit of throwing fits from
time to time.

My fix was to delete the files storeinfo and summary in
~/evolution/mail/imap/johnh at server/INBOX

But, as that shows, I'm using Imap

Guess I would start with your local mbox file. Do NOT delete it though!
Is it a permissions problem - can you edit it manually?
Are you sure you haven't run out of disk space?

If it helps, my mbox file has permissions:
-rw-r--r--    1 johnh    c3          22072 Jun 28 10:27 mbox

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk