[Gllug] SSH problem

Kim Hawtin kim at freesolutions.net
Fri Aug 30 11:02:11 UTC 2002

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 11:54:36AM +0100, Simon Stewart wrote:
> Here's an interesting one. A friend of mine[1] has trouble connecting
> to an OpenSSH 2.1.1 server with an OpenSSH 3.x client (or Putty, for
> that matter) The login process gets as far as presenting the password
> prompt, and no matter what's typed the connection is then disconnected
> by the server.

there are *incompatibilities* post 2.1 and 2.9 and onwards...
i would not expect say; 3.4 to work with it at all really...

> The logs don't show any usual behaviour, and console logins do
> work. The server has been left running for ages without any upgrades,
> and the only thing that's changed has been that it's been rebooted for
> the first time this year. Prior to that, the same setup worked
> perfectly. Post the reboot: grief. This is all on something that
> alleges to be "Redhat 1.0", but I doubt that's true, somehow.

maybe readhat 3.0 earlier than that is ... well ...
the very first time i ever heard of redhat was 3.0.3!
and AFAIK the first release shipped.

> So far, the help that I've given has been over the phone, otherwise
> I'd hand out more details. Your suggestions, ladies and gentlemen?
> Anyone else seen this?

erm ... kindof. what i would suggest is that you make sure that you are
using the kind of key that 2.1 is expecting and you also enable all the
other authentication mechanisms for that user only, ie; ~username/.ssh/config

setup to use password authentication, check the file permissions,
but most omportantly make the damn thing log verbosely !

when you know what it is failing on ....

yours,

kim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk