[Gllug] Icewm

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 18:24:43 UTC 2002

John Hearns wrote:

> I just downloaded icewm, as I was looking for a window manager
> which uses less resources on my 64Mbyte :-( laptop
> Gnome and evolution were not doing its little memory any good
> at all...
>
> I like icewm! Initial impressions of the look and feel are good.

Interestingly, IBM use icewm on the Linux (RH 7.1) based control
stations for their "Regatta" boxes (mainframe sized RS/6000s). These
control stations are 768MB P700s and don't really do very much:) So they
presumably didn't choose it because of its light hardware requirements.

Regards, Ian

PS the Regattas can run Linux too, but you have to split them into
logical partitions first - I think because they have too many processors
(ours have 24). To be honest though, I can't think why anyone would want
to, the price of AIX (about 1000 UKP) is quite insignificant compared to
the price of the hardware (about half a million). Maybe if you wanted
lots of web servers..

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk