Generics and templated methods (was Re: [Gllug] Pointer arithmetic with void *)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 23:04:32 UTC 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Simon Stewart spake:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 08:10:03PM +0100, Nix wrote:
>>
>> I might use Java if it had an STL and templates, but without them,
>> no chance.)
>
> Ahh... you're waiting for generics to appear, then. There's a preview
> release of "what it might be like" out there at:

They're merging GJ in, aren't they?

(I wish they chose to merge in Pizza, but there's little chance of
*that*, alas...)

> With luck it'll be part of Tiger (JDK 1.5) I'm looking forward to the
> Collections API not requiring casts _every_ _time_ I use it. Actually,
> if that floats your boat, take a look at:
>
> http://nice.sourceforge.net/

ooo. That language is well-named; it is indeed *very* nice.

I shall have a play :)

> Which looks like a Good Thing. Not had a chance to play with it,
> though.

If it does what it says it does, I *like*.

--
`Mips are real and bitrate earnest, shifting spam is not our goal;
 silicon to sand returnest, was not spoken of the soul.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk