Generics and templated methods (was Re: [Gllug] Pointer arithmetic with void *)

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Wed Aug 21 10:30:50 UTC 2002

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 12:04:32AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Simon Stewart spake:
> > On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 08:10:03PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> >>
> >> I might use Java if it had an STL and templates, but without them,
> >> no chance.)
> >
> > Ahh... you're waiting for generics to appear, then. There's a preview
> > release of "what it might be like" out there at:
>
> They're merging GJ in, aren't they?
>
> (I wish they chose to merge in Pizza, but there's little chance of
> *that*, alas...)

Alas, Sun has a nice habit of ignoring the community's efforts when it
comes to defining new extensions to the language (*cough* logging
*cough*)

I'm patiently waiting for Sun to Do The Right Thing and make java a
fully OO language. The primitive types should really be objects,
imho. Actually, the language is a bit schizophrenic. If you use
reflection to determine the return type of a method, it always returns
a Object. For the primitives, it returns the primitive wrapped in its
java.lang wrapper. Argh! So close, yet so far away! Ruby got it right,
from what I hear.

Of course, there are a lot of other niggles too, but then nothing's
perfect. And this is now wandering into "noise" rather than "signal"
for this group. Shutting up now.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"A friend of mine is into Voodoo Acupuncture. You don't have to
go. You'll just be walking down the street, and...........ooooohhhhhh,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk