[Gllug] Laptop PC failing to boot

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Aug 27 12:18:23 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 19:40, Mark Preston wrote:
> hda:dma_intr: status=0x51{DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
> hda:dma_intr: error=0x01{AddMarkNotFound} LBAsect=12530765, sector2
> ...(last two lines above repeat 8 times)
> hda:DMA disabled
> ide0: reset: success
> hda:read_intr: status=0x59{DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
> hda:read_intr: error=0x01{AddMarkNotFound} LBAsect=12530765, sector2
> ...(last two lines above repeat 6 times)
> end_request: IO error, dev 03:06 (hda), sector2
> EXT2-fs: Unable to read superblock

Looks like your disk is dead.

Even if a boot/root set might let you recover some data and keep going
for a bit, I think it's unlikely the disk will last much longer anyway.

I suggest you buy a shiny new disk as soon as possible, and drop the old
one into a bin. If you're still under DNUK's warranty, then you're
laughing, otherwise I'd still go back to them and ask for a quote, since
they're usually pretty cheap, and moreover they might give you a
warranty on the entire system again. :-)

Placing the old disk into a desktop running Linux may enable you to
recover some data, but you won't need to, because you backed up
everything critical anyway. Right?

Oh, if you *do* put it in a desktop, try putting it on a different IDE
chain from your "main" hard drive, since Linux will spend a lot of time
resetting IDE busses and suchlike. You may find some scripts and
software about via Google on how to best recover all the good sectors.
I've heard strange things about putting the drive into a freezer
beforehand, all of which you can try.

Also, you needn't drop the old drive into a bin afterwards. They make
really nice wind-chimes, and my father-in-law found them quite fun to
take apart.

Good luck.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk