[Gllug] Bletchley Park trip - 18th August?

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Fri Aug 9 09:01:19 UTC 2002

Yes, I know it's short notice...

For a couple of years, there have been discussions of a possible GLLUG
picnic at Bletchley Park, a genuine geek pilgrimage site - all credit to
John Hearnes, who's proposed and pushed the idea in the past...  I'm
proposing that if you're not doing anything else next Sunday (the 18th), we
get together there for the GLLUG picnic '02.  Why that date?  Three reasons
come to mind:  They're having an Airbourne Forces weekend that weekend,
which means paratrooper and commando displays, and a WWII overflight on the
Sunday; It's the same weekend as the Picn*x11 Linux picnic
(www.linuxpicnic.org) in California - if we decide on that date quickly, we
should be able to get some publicity out of that; No time like the present -
the weather is pretty variable at the moment, so thats no help in picking a
date, and I know people will be on holiday, but at least if we pick a date,
it might actually *happen* this year!

Apparently there might be engineering works which would affect the trains,
but barring that, I propose those who want to take the train meet at Euston
at maybe 11ish on the Sunday, and those who want to go under their own steam
aim to meet us there at around 12?  I've called and provisionally booked us
in - I can call and cancel if no-one else can make it, or if it's a silly
idea, or I can call and confirm if there's going to be 10-15 people or more
there.  I'd want to know by, say, Tuesday next week...  We can discuss it
on-list, or on my Wiki (@wiki.vmlinuz.org) - if you're a confirmed yes, add
your name to the BletchleyParkInterestList there.  For what it's worth, I'd
say families are welcome - trying to make it *slightly* less geeky :-)

For anyone who doesn't know about Bletchley Park (shame on you!) there's
oodles of info at www.bletchleypark.org.uk - yes, it's a pretty
crappy-looking site, but remember to hold your complaining off until we get
there...  There would be an entrace fee of £6 (£5 concessions) and they
don't do group prices :-(

Let's make it happen this year! :-)

Cheers
Richard