[Gllug] Dillo and Skipstone

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Thu Aug 15 11:36:50 UTC 2002

> I've just installed Dillo.  Doesn't support cookies or CSS, barfs on
> complex tables and frames.  Unusable when it comes to browsing the web
> in any meaningful way.  :-)

there are a patches for some of these, definitely for cookies and http
authentication, ssl (I haven't tried them), I think someone is using it
to access their hotmail.  It's still in beta development, I follow the
mailing list and there are some good things coming out of it.

I guess it all depends on what you call "browsing the web in a
meaningful way", I find it great for 80% of the things I'm doing at the
moment since it's so fast.  I'm mainly only interested in textual
information and images that give information (screen shots, photos etc),
not lovely looking sites.  If I come to something that needs more
power/features I swap browsers.  It helps speed up the "world wide wait"
for me anyway.  I also use it for html help files on my system rather
than Netscape that everything seams to point to.

Still can't find reference to the other browser I mentioned, it came up
in a Dillo discussion message but can't find it now.  I have noticed
that web sites and browser compatibility issues are a hot subject on
this list so would like to point out the "Any Browser" campaign
http://any.brower.org/. I've been off the list for a while so apologies
if you've seen this, I hope to bring all our sites to use the "Best
viewed with AnyBrowser" logo.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk