[Gllug] Evolution won't fetch my mail (Help)

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Tue Aug 6 14:57:02 UTC 2002

* Tethys <tet at accucard.com> spake thus:

> >And RMAIL/Gnus is bad because? [No, it's a serious question: I do my
> >best typing in Emacs, so the idea that people who *could* use it
> >*wouldn't* is ... worrying...]
>
> It's bad because emacs is evil and vi is the One True Way.

.. right :P

> There, that should have stirred things up a bit. Sit back and let
> the flames commence :-) Seriously, though, in nearly 2 decades of
> using vi, the concept of switching to emacs just doesn't sit well
> with me. I've tried some of the vi emulators for emacs, and the
> best of them (I think it was VILE) was still a) noticably slower
> than native vi, and b) lacking the full functionality of vi.

One of the guys whose very vocal vim-advocating prerequisited my switch
from emacs to vim, I later found out, have now switched to emacs (from
vim) =) His decision was solely based on the availability of the gnus
newsreader (and its ability to use multiple servers at the same time,
iirc -- apparently slrn suck at that).

> I'm sure it's a perfectly good solution for others, but it's
> Not For Me(tm).

For each his own.

Stig

--