[Gllug] Web hosting, email and dns

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Aug 30 17:59:27 UTC 2002

Liam Delahunty wrote:
> Jonathan Dye asked:
>
>>Has anyone got any experience with oneandone (http://oneandone.co.uk)?
>>It all looks very cheep as they advertise 2.89gbp per year for domain
>>registration (and it looks like they give you email and webspace too but it
>>could be a scam) but is it any good?
>>

> Going off topic...
>
> I have a domain reseller account with OpenSRS, so I'm sort of in the domain
> game in a *very* minor way (basically we just register names for some
> clients that host with us, and some for mates). A co.uk would cost _me_ 13
> USD for 2 years. Approx 4.70 a year (vat not applicable).
>
> If I joined Nominet (at 400 UKP), it would could get uk names at, (IIRC),
> 2.50 p.a. Now by the time you add VAT, => 2.93, so I assume the One and One
> [1] price is 2.89+vat = 3.39.
>
> In either case, that's a net margin of 39p. By the time you add in 3% or so
> for the Cc fee, which'd be about 10p, costs of running the system, nominet
> costs, costs of staff, cost running the business, etc, you're probably
> talking profits of a couple of pence per domain if you're lucky.

but you can get good service for little money

I use 123-reg.co.uk

both at home and at work - they are cheap reliable - and moist
importantly allow you to easily transfer domains in and out of thier
control.

They don't offer much by way of DNS - but allow you to take control of
that easily.

no email or webspace - but you do get email and web forwarding.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk