[Gllug] Routing Issues

French, Alastair Alastair.French at racalinst.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 07:35:58 UTC 2002

Hi all

I have just moved over to ADSL (using a router) from a cable modem as a
result of moving house and I am having problems with the routing (I think).

The original setup was

Linux Box (SuSe 7.1) eth1 (192.168.0.10) running dhcpcd for internal
network, this was connect to a hub and a SMC wireless router using only the
hub and wireless part i.e. no connection to the WAN port.
eth0 was connected directly to the cable modem and received it's public IP
address from the cable co's dhcp server. This worked fine with IP fowarding
/ Masq / and ipchains firewall working. I can't remember the routing details
but it worked.

I have now replaced the cable modem with an SMC ADSL router (7401ABR). I
gave eth0 (the external network) a static IP of 192.168.1.2. The routers LAN
interface having an IP address of 192.168.1.1.

As far as I can see I should be setting a static route on the Linux box for
192.168.1.1 via 192.168.1.2(eth0), or a route to 192.168.1.x via the same
port with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. This is to enable all internal
machines to configure the router if needed. I have then set a default route
vthat routes all other traffic to 192.168.1.1 via eth0.

Now the problem. I can see the router from all machines and I can see it's
public IP address (so the bridging on the router is working) from all hosts
but I cannot see passed that, even the ISPs servers.

There may also be a problem with the ADSL line, but it has authenticated and
received it's public IP so it must be working at least some of the time. Am
I doing something wrong here or is it just the ADSL link.

I hope someone can shed some light on this please

Thanks and apologies for the small novel.

Alastair

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. It is intended only for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this e-mail. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform RACAL INSTRUMENTS LTD. immediately by phoning +44 (0)1628 604455 (ask for the I.T. dept) and delete it and all copies from your system.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk