[Gllug] Cheep backup solution

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 12:32:03 UTC 2002

On Thursday 22 August 2002 12:16 pm, Jonathan Dye wrote:
> [...]

I have been playing with a SONY DVD+RW drive for the last few weeks and it
works great. It is easy to write to them with linux
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
and you can add data after the event until its full and it seems to be
readable just fine in a regular DVD-ROM (I've only tried a couple.) However,
the Media is more expensive at the moment.
It is also a true random access media, which means that you can write ext2,
vfat or whatever filesystems on it (although I'm not sure why you would). I
think this needs a kernel patch though.
Steve

--
Stephen Harker
steve at pauken.co.uk

"Life is like a sewer. What you get out depends entirely on what you put in."
					-Tom Lehrer

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk