[Gllug] rpm-get issues

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue Aug 6 15:45:05 UTC 2002

Jonathan Harker(jon at jonathanharker.co.uk)@Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 04:42:30PM +0100:
> Greetings
>
> I know debian and apt-get is completely cool and tops, but I have Mandrake at
> home, and I thought I'd have a go at getting rpm-get to work. I can configure
> it for using various mirrors, but when it connects to the ftp server it
> compains that it can't find the directories it needs. At one point I had it
> pointing to the correct directories, but it then couldn't find the list file
> (RPM-list.bz or something similar).
>
> Is there some magical incantation I have forgotten to utter?
>
> If anyone has successfully used rpm-get, could they tell me the correct ftp
> addresses I need, or what I might be doing wrong? I have rpm-get 1.5
>
> Is this even worth pursuing, or is rpm-get a load of dingo's kindeys? It's
> just I'm getting really sick of never ending rpm dependency trees. Novel at
> first, now a real pita.

never used rpm-get, but i did use urpmi with some success.

as i recall, you set it up something like:
# urpmi.addmedia 82tree file:///export/cooker/8.2/8.2-tree/Mandrake/RPMS

then you can just do urpmi <package>

change the file:// URL above for a real ftp/http address where you can
find the RPMS directory for a MDK tree.  you can get a list of the MDK
website.

HTH,
-v

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk