[Gllug] OT: Online Natwest banking

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 18:50:09 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 10:29, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 07:20:13PM +0100, Steve Nicholson wrote:

> I'm moving to Smile, who provided a far faster, friendly response to
> the same query that actually seemed to get to the heart of the problem
> rather than addressing a symptom of it.

Gaahhhh. I have ~50 users all using Gecko based browsers (in the form of
Netscape 6/7 on Windows). With NS7PR1, Smile does not work. With 6, it
did.

Here is the response my user got from Smile:-

smile Technical Help Desk Call Reference xxxxx/js

Hello, thanks for getting in touch with us.

Unfortunately Netscape 7 is not designed to be backwards compatible with
internet programming techniques. There are currently no plans to alter
the website for your specific browser and can only advise that you
either downgrade your internet browser, or install and use a version of
Internet explorer to access smile.

The following are the supported internet browsers, I hope this assists
you, I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.

  -- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 4.0 or later; or

  -- Netscape version 4.06 or later (excluding version 6 & 7).  smile
doesn't work with Netscape 6 or 7.

  -- You need to have SSL2, SSL3, Cookies/Per-Session Cookies and
JavaScript enabled in your Internet Options/Preferences.

If you need any more technical help or info, you should find all you
need at www.smile.co.uk/troubleshooting.html or by clicking on help from
our home page.  If you can't find what you're after there, drop us
another email at talk_to_a_techie at smile.co.uk <mailto:tech at smile.co.uk>,
or give us a call on 0870 600 0217.  We're here to answer your questions
between 8am and 10pm, 7 days a week.

Thanks

Jay

smile Technical Help Desk

Having seen the nice "f**k off and die" tone of this, I'd leave Smile
well alone...

Cahoot are supposed to work, and are as financially decent as Smile,
from what I can tell. I'd be interested to know what you asked Smile,
and what their response was....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk