[Gllug] Web hosting, email and dns

Pavel Bradut Boghita bradut at freeuk.com
Fri Aug 30 18:42:36 UTC 2002

Without necessarily answering your question here are my 2pennies worth
thoughts.

I have registered a domain with dotster.com actually it was a transfer ( I
was with easily.co.uk before) I really like the level of control they give
you on your domain... in fact you are in total control.
For DNS resolution I use www.dyndns.org and the hosting.... it should be soon
on my pc at home; unitl then there are some old pages on my space on a
btinternet.com server.
If you want email from dotster is another 10$ a year.

Generally I found with domain names it's important to find a registrar who
is(seems) honest enough about what they are doing and transparent in their
practices. To me, easily.co.uk for example, (although they may be a very
respectable company) seemed rather "fishy" in their approach, insisting on
keeping them as technical contact, and not making it very easy to see or
modify the other contact details. My comments on this apply especially for
*.com domains for which there isn't much official paperwork for proof of
ownership.
For *.co.uk domain you get a nice certification from Nominet which is quite
reassuring. Also co.uk domains seem really cheap.

Regards,

Bradut

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk