[Gllug] Evolution won't fetch my mail (Help)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 22:12:21 UTC 2002

On 05 Aug 2002, Dave Cridland said:
> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 23:05, Nix wrote:
>> On 05 Aug 2002, John Hearns moaned:
>> > Much though I like Evo, it does have the habit of throwing fits from
>> > time to time.
>>
>> This does *not* make me more willing to use it :(
>
> IMAP is good enough protection, I find, for almost any email client
> problem. Cyrus IMAPd allows server-side filtering, so there's even less
> reason to worry about your email client exploding.

I haven't found any IMAP clients that I'll either trust with all my
email or that are comprehensible enough to set up without running a
serious risk of losing all the mail I throw at it.

I like the *idea*, but the implementations make INN look like the most
clear and comprehensible program ever written.

Currently, I use procmail delivery to mailboxes in user home
directories: most users are using a mbox-style mailbox but some are
being adventurous and using maildir (I'm one such).

In any case the mail rarely stays there for long because the mail clients
suck it out and put it elsewhere (gnus delivers mine to nnml mailboxes:
maildir with news-style overview files ;} )

> I do prefer Evolution to any other email client I've ever used, when it
> behaves, which it usually does.

Likewise but s/Evolution/Gnus/...

... apparently Gnus supports IMAP properly, too, wow-ee.. although of
course it can't do as many magical things with the mail in IMAP as it
can with the mail in an nnml backend.

--
`There's something satisfying about killing JWZ over and over again.'
                                        -- 1i, personal communication

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk