[Gllug] Missing children from Soham

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Aug 13 10:54:50 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:44:28AM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:

> I've often wondered about this..
>
> I mean, unless someone actually had files named kiddie_porn - or had the
> stuff as a background image a service engineer probably wouldn't stunble
> accross illegal images accidentally.
>
> I had assumed that it was just celebrities who suffered as engineers
> poeked around in thier files
>
> but I have since heard of someone I know of who got caught with illegal
> files after haning a laptop in for maintenance.
>
> So do the ploice ask for routine scanning of hard disks ??
>
> it seems from what you say that they do.
>
> In which case this seems very dodgy to me (good to catch child abusers
> but still dodgy vis a vi civil liberties)
>
> and if the do scan the disks - I wonder how they identify the dodgy stuf
> (maybe just look for skin tones and then get a human involved)

Hmmm makes me feel glad{*} that when I last sent a laptop off for repair that I
removed the hard disk. The reason that I did so was 'cos I didn't want some clueless
engineer doing some M$ disk check & deciding that something was wrong & so reinstalling
the boot sector (or worse) -- something that I have seen before.

This was Gateway (nice PCs, crappy admin). It still came back with the job log claiming
that it had been virus checked.

{*} Not 'cos I have p0rn sitting on my disk, but more that I don't like people
poking around in my files.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>