[Gllug] Slightly OT: Apache mod_throttle

Flash Wilson flash at gorge.org
Tue Aug 13 08:55:59 UTC 2002

Hello,

sorry this is slightly OT but apache users group were singularly
useless. silent on the topic. anyway.

I am running apache 1.3.26 on redhat 6.2.

People quite often run one of the CGIs several times via a
script, so that we have several requests per second. You can
imagine the number of max httpds were quickly reached and kaboom,
server gives errors to genuine surfers.

So I applied mod_throttle. This worked well - it has throttled
users so that each IP can make only one request per second.

Except it didnt work with CGIs which ran as normal ;(

I am told this may be because mod_throttle is a handler, and
CGIs already use another one. Not sure tho - cant find anything
to assist/confirm/deny on that.

Anyone able to advise on a solution to throttle access to this
CGI?

Blocking offenders is not an option, and rewriting the CGI is
a last resort only (or I wouldnt bother asking).

Im really hoping someone here has come up against this before!

Cheers,
Flash

Flash Wilson				          flash at gorge.org
Tonight! SAGE-WISE discussion group on recruitment - 7.30pm, UCL.
Free, all welcome. http://www.sage-wise.org/events for more info.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk