[Gllug] Laptop PC failing to boot

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Mon Aug 26 18:40:36 UTC 2002

Hi all,
I would be grateful for any advice about the following problem I am having.
I have a laptop PC (433MHz) which I purchased from Digital Networks 2years
ago. It is a dual boot with RedHat 7.1 and Windows 98. It has recently failed
to boot and gives the following error messages:-
When trying to boot into Linux,
...[Some bootup messages that look normal ending with the lines below]
TCP:Hash tables configured (established 16384 bind 16384)
Net4:Unix domain sockets 1.0SMP for Linux NET 4.0
hda:dma_intr: status=0x51{DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hda:dma_intr: error=0x01{AddMarkNotFound} LBAsect=12530765, sector2
...(last two lines above repeat 8 times)
hda:DMA disabled
ide0: reset: success
hda:read_intr: status=0x59{DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
hda:read_intr: error=0x01{AddMarkNotFound} LBAsect=12530765, sector2
...(last two lines above repeat 6 times)
end_request: IO error, dev 03:06 (hda), sector2
EXT2-fs: Unable to read superblock
Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:06

When trying to boot into Windows 98,
While initializing device IOS
Error: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low
on memory.

Any advice on what may be causing these problems, and how to proceed would be
appreciated. TIA.
--
Regards from Mark Preston

www.markpreston.co.uk