[Gllug] Icewm

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 10:40:41 UTC 2002

On Monday 26 August 2002 11:52 am, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> > eeek, only 8mb swap, you really might want to stick to the
> > old twice ram size
> > for swap, kernel does some funny things when it decides to
> > swap out, and it
> > will swap somthing even if you have lots of ram free, 8mb is
> > a bit too close to
> > the line imo,
>
> hmm.. only time I'm going into swap is when this mem leak gets too big
> (definitely dillo causing the problem), don't have any spare partition
> to make it bigger. Only made it 8Mb because with 192Mb ram I didn't
> expect the system to need it, everything I have read about swap size
> being double is only for smaller amounts of ram.  Swap being double the
> ram comes from the days when you had 32Mb or so and it was cheaper to
> use swap than put more RAM in.  My understanding is the idea now is to
> have small swap and keep an eye on it, if you are dipping into it buy
> more RAM.

The way I understand it, the kernel will swap out processes that are unused
and use some of the RAM it frees up to create a larger cache which is a much
more effective use of resources.
So while you may not need that much swap, certain file operations and other
things will be faster if more RAM is available...
Or have I got that all wrong?
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk