[Gllug] adding a network card to a linux machine

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 28 06:53:40 UTC 2002

On Wed 28 Aug, Philippe Rousselot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a machine running mandrake SNF
>
> My ethernet PCI card has been recognised without any problem and I am
> connected to the outside world
>
> my second card is an ISA card a 3COM 3c509b and has not been recognized
> during the install.(I know that the card works fine as my first install
> was done with a regular linux distro and with only this card)

   3COM provide a facilities disc for M$, and I have also seen a Linux
facility on Debian called 3c5x9utils. The 3c509b can be set either to an
indivdual io and irq or the default plug and pray. Best for Linux is usually
to set it to a known configuration, even more important if you have more
than one similar card, but the settings on each card must be adjusted with
only that one card inserted.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk