[Gllug] Resetting VT after logout in Debian

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 23:25:54 UTC 2002

I'm hoping there's a Debian guru out there that knows the answer to
this....

On a RedHat system, one gets 6 configured virtual consoles. One can log
in, do stuff, and logout. When one logs out, the screen is reset, and
the respawned getty process outputs the contents of /etc/issue and a
login: prompt at the top of the screen.

On a Debian box, the respawned getty dumps the contents of /etc/issue
and the login prompt at the current cursor position, whatever it happens
to be. Anyone wandering up to the console can potentially see a
screeenful of the last users session.

Does anyone know how to change this behaviour? Is it just a consequence
of Debian using agetty? I'm looking for a system wide way to change the
behaviour, not a per user thing...

I'm sure there was a way to do this, but I can't find it anywhere. Ideas
appreciated...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk