[Gllug] Cheep backup solution

Stan stan at plato.wadham.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 22 09:49:42 UTC 2002

Jonathan Dye (jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com) apparently wrote:

> I had a go with mondo which sounds like what you are talking about but I
> have over 650MB of stuff to back up and I don't want to have to swap the
> disks over.  I'm lazy and if the backup takes too much effort then I won't
> do it.  I want something where I can stick in the backup medium and press go
> (or I can even automate the go pressing) and then come back later and take
> the tape (or whatever) away.  I also don't want to pay too much, maybe I'm
> asking too much.
> If it helps I currently have a couple of gigs of stuff I want to back up.

_DVD_

I'm using a pioneer 104 drive for just this (now available for
200UKP).  DVD-RWs (about 2UKP each) and the occasional DVD-R (under
1UKP) for archive.  All well supported under linux.  I just leave the
relevant disc in over night and it will backup selected parts of my
HD.  I'm not using any backup tool just a few simple scripts.

Shame that it _ONLY_ backs up 4.something GB and I have a 120GB HD!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk