[Gllug] Re: Gllug digest #2082 - Software for Schools

Allen Wayne Wayne.Allen at rhul.ac.uk
Wed Aug 21 12:43:29 UTC 2002

I work part time in a junior school as the IT technician. The problem with
schools running linux is not the OS but thet other packages they like to
use, most of which are dictated by the requirements of the national
curriculum. We run a cutdown version of word (called taking first word),
together with various database, music, graphics programs. It is no good
giving a 7,8,9 yearold child Gimp and then having to teach them not to press
every button on the control panel, what we need is a cut down version of
Gimp sutiable for teaching. Thus the idea of a linux demo is a good one, but
you need to take into consideration the other software.... giving demos on
Gimp and Star Office would just confuse the hell out of most IT teachers I
know. I have from time to time turned up at school with a linux
laptop...with various comments ranging from nice to 'too complicated'. You
need to look at what the systems are being used for, and the support
required/available.

Wayne

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk