[Gllug] Evolution won't fetch my mail (Help)

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Aug 9 05:03:24 UTC 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 10:40:49PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Jim Bailey said:
> > Do you mind if I ask what problems you have found and in particular
> > Courier which is the IMAP server I have been using for the last few
> > months without any problems?  Which doesn't mean there are any.
>
> I looked at them for a while, and, well, your choice seems to be between
>
> - uw-imap, which is a single giant tangle of security holes, brought
>   to you by the team that produced pine, a mailer with so many sprintf()s
>   in it that it was removed from the freebsd ports system as an
>   unsecurable nightmare: so that's out.
>
> - courier, which has a massive mound of documentation that bears no
>   obvious resemblance to anything else in the package, and which seems
>   to be remarkably difficult to tie into anything: it seems to want you
>   to use its own filtering language, which is right out as I have so
>   much flowing through procmail...

I agree with you on the courier docs FWIW, I gave up early on trying to
find stuff on their web interface, it is like the Scarlet Pimpernel.

The courier people are building there own mail system including an MTA
which I don't use and also a filtering system/delivery agent called
maildrop which apparently has easier syntax than procmail and of course
the IMAP pop3 MDA.  I have had procmail running happily with Courier
IMAP but a while back changed to Maildrop just because I could.  This
week I am mainly running Maildrop and Procmail together because I am a
muppet.

At some point in the future I intend to go purely procmail to
take advantage of Spam Assassin and Razor.  I want to get Postfix's UCE
(spam blocking) controls tuned properly first.  I am interested in real
time blocking lists but I am very wary of choosing one run by a bunch of
gung ho lunatics.  Particularily since I am receiving and relaying a lot
of legitimate mail from SE Asia and China well know hot spots for
spammers.

Long term I want to play with SASL, TLS, LDAP and/or Postgres user
authentification and management, Virtual Maildir and Maildir++ virtual
user quotas and mail server clustering, oh and I want it to whistle
Dixie everytime I log on.

> *shiver*

Indeed, I have just realised I am turning into a mail server junkie, in
recent week I have gained comfort in watching the mail logs scroll by in
a xterm, I need therapy or a girlfriend. ;)

All this will prolly end in tears but until then I shall continue to
play and have fun.

On a slightly more serious note the reason I chose the combinations I
have is that they all modular and start out fairly simple to configure
initially a very important consideration for someone of my skill level
and experience.  Once have mastered one part I turn on another set of
features and learn those.  If I had started with Cyrus, Sendmail and the
such I would of made a terrible mess had my toys take off me and given
to one of the bigger boys to play with.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk