[Gllug] Evolution won't fetch my mail (Help)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 9 12:00:39 UTC 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Jim Bailey yowled:
> At some point in the future I intend to go purely procmail to
> take advantage of Spam Assassin and Razor.  I want to get Postfix's UCE
> (spam blocking) controls tuned properly first.  I am interested in real
> time blocking lists but I am very wary of choosing one run by a bunch of
> gung ho lunatics.

It's normally best to let SpamAssassin handle this sort of thing because
it just adds score and doesn't instantly can mail just because it's in a
single blocklist.

It supports a *lot* of blocklists, but it's just (in CVS) stopped
supporting Osirusoft because, well, it appears to be run by a bunch of
gung ho lunatics :) or, rather, some of the lists it agglomerates are
run by such. (Some of Osirusoft's constitent lists have found their way
into SpamAssassin in replacement.)

If you wait for SA 2.40 (due Real Soon Now, a week or two maybe) then
you'll have Razor 2 support --- although given the wobbly state of the
Razor servers this may not be much of an advantage :)

> Long term I want to play with SASL, TLS, LDAP and/or Postgres user
> authentification and management, Virtual Maildir and Maildir++ virtual
> user quotas and mail server clustering, oh and I want it to whistle
> Dixie everytime I log on.

I'm much more sedate: I'm still using procmail-3.15.2 because later
versions tend to have had mail corruption problems, and because my email
really matters to me.

(likewise INN: I'm still on 1.7.2actsync, after manifold problems with
INN-2.3.x's behaviour after crashes...)

>> *shiver*
>
> Indeed, I have just realised I am turning into a mail server junkie, in
> recent week I have gained comfort in watching the mail logs scroll by in
> a xterm, I need therapy or a girlfriend. ;)

I've got the procmail and spamassassin logs scrolling by permanently, as
well as the agglomerated site syslog (but that latter's on the desktop
background floating above an xplanet).

I'm just a log junkie :)

> On a slightly more serious note the reason I chose the combinations I
> have is that they all modular and start out fairly simple to configure
> initially a very important consideration for someone of my skill level
> and experience.

Oh, agreed.

I started out with sendmail simply because I had the bat book nearby :)

--
`There's something satisfying about killing JWZ over and over again.'
                                        -- 1i, personal communication

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk