[Gllug] Plank Drivers

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 09:03:17 UTC 2002

> >Any others recommended? G450, or are they too old these days?
> >
> >(My mobo isn't AGP-capable, for what it's worth.)
>
> I was just going to suggest a Radeon, but I think they're only AGP.
> There's definitely a PCI version of the G450 (and I think G550, too).
> The G450 I have at work is stunning for 2D, and more than acceptable
> for 3D. It won't give you the extreme frame rates that you'll get from
> a Radeon or GeForce, but I still get 40fps or so in Unreal Tournament,
> for example :-)

Not a G550. Nice dual screen (one of the outputs is digital) but I have a
cursor lockup every couple of days under SuSE 8.0.
With no 3D support some games (Tux Racer) are noticeable in their poor
rendering.
The Matrox bulletin board has complaints and says it is the hardware cursor
line in X.
Under SuSE this is off and so I think it is something else. Swapped to a
cheap GeForce2 and all stable.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk