[Gllug] spam

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Aug 9 23:52:47 UTC 2002

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 10:16:41PM +0100, Daniel Andersson wrote:

> okay, speaking of spam
>
> what do you people use on your mailservers to get rid of spam?
>
> recently put ordb.org, mail-abuse.org and spamhaus.org into the sendmail
> config on one of our servers
> still getting a large amount of spam :o(

I don't know the exact details of how you do it in Sendmail but I use
the header and then the body checks features in Postfix.

It accepts or rejects mail based on regexp recipies in a hashed file.
the advantages of this AFAIK is that it uses less resources than
excepting a email then testing it before rejecting it.

What I like about these are if spam does get passed once you can add its
signature to your header or body files re-run the hash and the next one
is blocked.

There is also a hack available for both Postfix and Exim, and therefore
prolly Sendmail as well that rejects mail from Yahoo and Hotmail unless
it is relayed through authorizied servers.

After that I guess it is time for Spam Assasin, I know Mark Lownes uses
it for this list.  I have looked at it and messed with it a bit but not
used it in anger yet but from what some smart people say it is very
good.

With Spam like any attack on the integrity of the system defense in
depth is best.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk