[Gllug] Servers and other irritations...

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Aug 1 07:44:36 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 01:14, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> I'm posting my own present misery to the list, in the vague hope that
> someone might be able to take mercy on me.......
>
> I've been running a particular server at work for quite a while now,
> it's been taken down for maintenance only, and has typically had an
> uptime of 6 to 18 months on it when it's been rebooted. It runs a load
> of services (samba, dns, imap mail, dhcp), and is generally an important
> part of my infrastructure. It's got dual PSU's, ECC memory, and and ICP
> vortex RAID controller, with IBM SCSI disks configured as two separate
> RAID 5 arrays.

Can't give you any more help than the others on the list re. the
hardware.

However, I can only give you my own experience.
In my last employ, I started in the job with a server running on
old SGI hardware (actually an old workstation).
Ran Intranet, Mail, primary DNS, LDAP, news server.
Over time we migrated all these services to Linux running on separate
servers. We never looked back.
I know its a matter of budget - but consider 1U servers for your DNS and
DHCP. Maybe run your Samba and IMAP on separate servers, again budget
permitting.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk