[Gllug] Servers and other irritations...

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Aug 1 07:52:30 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 01:14, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> My previously stable server seems to be going belly up every 4-5 days,
> and the start of this coincided nicely with a disk failure. I've made no
> significant software changes recently, and I'm not aware of anything
> else that seems likely to be applicable. My next course of action is
> going to be to run a "parity verify" on the disks, as suggested by ICP

ps. does anyone have good pointers to test programs for very ordinary
disk controllers?

I have two problem machines I'm looking at - actually more out of
interest than anything else. I know that they have disk controller
problems, and are going to be retired.
but I just have that old 'wanting to get to the bottom of the problem'
feeling.

I can get the system up with a Toms root boot floppy,
and have mounted the disks etc.
Just looking for ideas on heavy duty controller diagnostics.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk