[Gllug] Lightning - was Evolution won't fetch my mail (Help)

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Sat Aug 10 22:20:08 UTC 2002

   Following up my question about lightning and copper body armour I have
googled the web for useful info about this admittedly slightly OT subject.
I was a little disappointed that nobody seems particularly sure exactly what
happens in a lightening strike. Despite the fact that lightning is a big
killer amongst meteorological phenomena.
In fact, not since Nix divulged that his "gibbered" phrase was randomly
generated have I been so surprised with this list. (I had received about
three "Mark Preston gibbered ..."s prior to that and always felt it was spot
on/ thoroughly deserved).
   Anyway, it's not Linux, but it may help save your life, or somebody
else's.
David Damerell wrote:-
>No-one made full-body copper armour, though, so you would get the
>charge through parts of your body in any case. It might also become
>extremely hot.

   Surprisingly, the way that people die in a lightning strike is not a
result of severe burns, as most people think, but because the electrical
force shocks the heart into cardiac arrest and cuts off breathing by
paralyzing the chest muscles.

    Thus the recommended position to adopt when caught out in the open with
lightning around is to curl up with your head down only your feet touching
the ground (less contact with earth, therefore less good conduction pathway).
In this position it is less likely that the bolt of lightning will pass
through your vital organs (mostly brain and heart), even if it strikes you.
This can dramatically improve your chances of survival.

If someone is struck by lightning and not breathing, you should immediately
attempt to restore life by giving CPR. Their bodies do not retain the
electrical charge and are safe to handle, and most people can survive a
strike if given proper treatment right away.

There are approximately 100 lightning strikes to earth per second. The
frequency of lightning strikes is greater at higher altitudes and lower
latitudes.

   The average lightning bolt packs about 30,000 to 40,000 amps of direct
current. Sitting inside a car and not touching anything metallic is about the
safest way of weathering a thunderstorm as far as lightning is concerned (as
long as it isn't a "soft top" car). Answering the phone, switching electrical
appliances on or off, are hazardous activities whilst indoors when lightning
is around. If you do seek shelter under a tree, don't hold onto the trunk.
Normally the electrical pathway will be between the dead trunk of the tree
and the bark. However, the electrical pathway will come out of the tree and
pass through you, because you are a better conductor - more water/salts. If
you stand/curl up slightly away from the tree trunk this is less likely to
occur. In conclusion, a full copper armour with holes for ventilation,
insulated with a full rubber wet-suit, again with holes for ventilation,
should be a fairly safe outfit for swearing at gods in a thunderstorm.
Now, does anybody know if lions actually like BBQ sauce? Hold on, what's
this, some men in white coats come to take me away. What do you mean I
shouldn't take things literally?
--
Regards from Mark Preston

www.markpreston.co.uk