[Gllug] Qmail problem

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 10:06:46 UTC 2002

Hi All,

I have never used Qmail before but a customer has just installed it on one of
their boxes and it doesn't work and they have asked us to look into it.  The
problem at the moment is that POP3 does not seem to work (they are using the
Qmail POP3 demon), here is the section of the /var/qmail/bin/qmailctl file that
starts it up:

if svok /service/qmail-pop3d ; then
svc -u /service/qmail-pop3d

It is running because you can connect to the server fine, the problem is that it
is giving authorisation failed for users:

[will at localhost will]$ telnet server.host.name.net 110
Trying <IPaddress of server.host.name.net>...
Connected to server.host.name.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <7440.1030701243 at server.host.name.net>
user test
+OK
pass test
-ERR authorization failed
Connection closed by foreign host.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?  I have no idea why this might
be failing, I guess the authentication method used is different, but How?

Thanks
Will

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk