[Gllug] Hardware recommendation, esp. SANs and shared storage

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Thu Aug 8 22:18:49 UTC 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 05:11:24PM +0100, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> On 8 Aug 2002, Chris Ball wrote:
>
> >    MK> Hi, We're looking to put together some fairly hefty Oracle
> >    MK> servers, initially configured as primary and standby, but
>
> > Oracle are supporting Linux again?  Last I heard they were only
> > supporting Red Hat, and then I got the impression that they were
> > ditching RH owing to library brokenness in most of 7.x..
>
> Oracle have trouble making up their minds about these
> things.  They used to certify occasional releases of
> Red Hat and SuSE, then they fell out with RH and would
> only do SuSE, now they seem to like both again.
>
> Of course, there's a difference between "supported",
> "certified" and "recommended", and I bet there's a big
> section of the internal support policy manual about
> ignoring troublesome customers with non-certified
> configurations.

Larry Ellison has always struck me as a border line sociopath but then
that is not necessarily a bad thing in his line of work.

I fairly certain that like a lot of the big boys out their he has
finally got his head around the fact that cheap Linux = more money for
expensive Oracle or what ever expensive proprietary solution you are
selling.  He also won't lose any sleep over the fact that every
Linux/Oracle combination he sells means less revenue for Microsoft.  I
am sure most people have seen the recent ads for the oracle email
solution that slags off Exchange.  Still it may be cracker proof[1] but
it still doesn't stop idiots even at Oracle CCing in public mailing
lists on confidential internal emails. [2]

[1] Yeah Larry I believe you.
[2] See the procmail-users list for details. ;P

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk